Melbourne Cup 2016 Odds & Betting
Tuesday 1st November 2016
Melbourne Cup 2016
Flemington | 3200m | Group 1 | Open Handicap | $6,200,000Tuesday, 1st November 2016
In Turkmenistan, the musk melon is tremendously important. So important, that the country’s president declared a public holiday to enjoy the fruit. We laugh, yet in Victoria they get a day off to watch 24 miniature men in silk pyjamas ride horses in a circle. Ironically, everyone else dresses up in their Sunday (or Tuesday) best to watch the pyjama horse racing. The ACT also has ‘Melbourne Cup Day’ but in an attempt to pretend it’s not a celebration of men in pyjamas riding ponies it’s called ‘Family & Community Day’. Lovingly referred to as the ‘Race that Stops the Nation’, the Melbourne Cup is the richest and most prestigious horse race in Australia and the jewel in the Melbourne Spring Carnival's crown.
The race itself is run over 3200m at Flemington racecourse and is contested by a large field of 24 gallopers on the first Tuesday of November. Being the pinnacle of the sport in Australia (and renowned around the world) the list of Melbourne Cup winners includes many of the Australian racings legends like Archer, Carbine, Phar Lap, Peter Pan, Rain Lover and the Melbourne Cup champion of champions, Makybe Diva.
Past winners of the Melbourne Cup
Below is a list of horses who have won the Melbourne Cup in the past few years:
|2015||Prince Of Penzance||Michelle Payne||Darren Weir||3.23.1|
|2014||Protectionist||Ryan Moore||Andreas Wohler||3:17.71|
|2013||Fiorente||Damien Oliver||Gai Waterhouse||3.20.30|
|2012||Green Moon||B Prebble||Robert Hickmott||3:20.4|
|2011||Dunaden||Christophe Lemaire||Mikel Delzangles||3.20.84|
|2010||Americain||Gérald Mossé||Alain de Royer-Dupre||3.26.87|
|2009||Shocking||Corey Brown||Mark Kavanagh||3.23.87|
|2008||Viewed||Blake Shinn||Bart Cummings||3.20.40|
|2007||Efficient||Michael Rodd||Graeme Rogerson||3.23.34|
|2006||Delta Blues||Yasunari Iwata||Katsuhiko Sumii||3.21.47|
|2005||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||Lee Freedman||3.19.17|
|2004||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||Lee Freedman||3.28.55|
|2003||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||David Hall||3.19.90|
|2002||Media Puzzle||Damien Oliver||Dermot K. Weld||3.16.97|
|2001||Ethereal||Scott Seamer||Sheila Laxon||3.21.08|
|2000||Brew||Kerrin McEvoy||Mike Moroney||3.18.68|
|1999||Rogan Josh||John Marshall||Bart Cummings||3.19.64|
Join us now if you haven't got an account and get in on the action!
Melbourne Cup 2016 Race Day Schedule
If you are travelling to Flemington Racecourse for Cup Day, make sure to be there before 10am to ensure that you get a good place to set yourself up for a whole day of racing! The Melbourne Cup race is the 7th race of the day, at 3.00pm. It has $6.2 million at stake, and 3200m of battling it out for first place, which also sets it up to be the biggest day of the year in the racing calendar!
|Race Name||Prize Money||Type||Distance|
|Emirates Airlines Plate||$151,500||2YO Fillies SW (N/C)||1000m|
|tab.com.au trophy||$101,500||Mares Hcp (N/C)||1700m|
|Melbourne Plate||$101,500||Rtg 0-95 Hcp (N/C)||2800m|
|Lavazza Short Black/td>||$101,500||4&5YO Rtg 0-90 Hcp (No Greys)||1400m|
|Schweppes #flemingtonfling||$101,500||3YO SW&P (N/C)||1000m|
|Lexus Hybrid Plate||$151,500||3YO Fillies SW&P (N/C)||1400m|
|Emirates Melbourne Cup||$6,200,000||Hcp (N/C)||3200m|
|James Boag's Symphony Stakes||$151,500||Hcp (N/C)||1800m|
|MSS Security Sprint||$151,500||Hcp (N/C)||1200m|
|Hong Kong Jockey Club Stakes||$101,500||Mares SW&P (N/C)||1400m|
Melbourne Cup Fast Facts
- The winner of the first Melbourne Cup in 1861 received a gold watch. We weren’t aware that horses could tell the time. Last year’s combined prize money was $6.2 million.
- Makybe Diva is the horse with the most legs, so-to-speak, winning the Melbourne Cup on three successive occasions.
- The late and legendary trainer JB (Bart) Cummings holds the record for the number of Melbourne Cup winners with 12. He must also have accrued quite a few gold watches.
Melbourne Cup 2015 Tips
Our racing expert Gerard Twomey has tipped the last four Melbourne Cup winners and last year he even tipped four of the top five (He's basically the Bradman of Melbourne Cup tips). You could do a whole lot worse than follwoing the great man as he aims to make it five from five and he's serious about it too. Don't believe us? Watch the video! Here are the G-Man's tips for the 2015 Melbourne Cup.
If you don't have time to watch (it only goes for 2:30 and is funny AF) we've listed the G-Man's selections for you below. Seriously though, watch the bloody video.
- Top Pick: Preferment - He's beaten the handicapper by winning the Turnbull Stakes since the release of the weights, he won the VRC Derby last year, loves Flemington, crying out for the two-mile, trained by Chris Waller, likes being ridden by Hugh Bowman - really keen on him.
- 2nd Pick: Amralah - Strong Staying performance in the Herbert Power, missed the start, made two runs, ran very fast times and drops five kilos into the big one.
- Roughie: Gust of Wind - Ran fourth in the Caulfield Cup, won the AJC Oaks in the Autumn, she's much better suited to Flemington and is definately over the odds.
- Worth a mention: Trip To Paris - Got an undeniable chance. Ran second in the Caulfield Cup. English stayer much better suited up to the 3200m.
So there you have it, our Melbourne Cup 2015 tips. Straight from the horses mouth. Kind of.