Bet on the Geelong Cup - Wednesday October 22nd 2014
The Geelong Cup marks a day of celebration down the line from Melbourne, partly because of the high-quality Group 3 racing on offer, but mostly because it’s a recognised public holiday. Falling precisely 13 days before the Melbourne Cup each year, it’s one of the key form indicators for the race that stops the nation – a 2,400m thoroughbred event open to horses of all ages and sexes. This makes it sort of the horse equivalent of the Olympics, or at least that’s how Geelong council’s PR team tries to spin it.
It’s a historic race, first run way back in 1872 (when men were men and horses were horses), and Geelong Cup betting usually gets a lot of action in the lead up to the race. Punters are always curious to see who does well on the old Geelong Racecourse, because in 13 days’ time there’s a good chance that info will pay handsome dividends. A tip for the Geelong Cup 2014? Watch out for those pesky speed cameras on the M1.
When is the Geelong Cup 2014?
The Geelong Cup will be held on Wednesday October 22nd 2014, at Geelong Racecourse in Victoria.
Geelong Cup BBQ Facts
- Three Geelong Cup winners in recent years have gone on to win the Melbourne Cup two weeks later – Media Puzzle, Americain and Dunaden.
- It may be a country cup, but Geelong usually attracts a strong international field. Overseas trainers like to use it as a final tune-up ahead of the big city events, so keep an eye on Geelong Cup odds to bag yourself a bargain.
- Dating back to 1908, Geelong Racecourse is known to be a good wet-weather track, so keep your form guide handy if the clouds start to gather.
With the winner granted automatic entry into the Melbourne Cup, you can bet Geelong Cup is on the cards for the world’s best stayers in 2014.
Winners of the Geelong Cup
Below is a list of Geelong Cup Winners and Geelong Cup runners up in the past few years:
|2009||Leica Ding||Dandaad||Sterling Prince||2:27.5|
|2007||The Fuzz||Zavite||Desert Master||2:27.0|
|2005||On A Jeune||Brave Lancer||Men At Work||2:26.7|
|2004||Pacific Dancer||Devastating||Diamond Jake||2:26.5|
What happened in the 2013 Geelong Cup?
Former European galloper Ibicenco slogged through the wet to beat the field, helping trainer Peter Moody break a 70-race drought on Melbourne tracks.
Geelong Cup Free Bet
Not a member of sportsbet.com.au and looking to punt on the Geelong Cup? Then pick up a Geelong Cup free bet with Sportsbet.com.au.
We’re offering a free bet of up to $100* on your initial deposit! Click “Join Now” and take advantage of this great offer today and claim your Geelong Cup Bet!
All you need to do is:
- Click on Join Now
- Sign up using the Registration page
- Deposit some funds
- Receive your Free Bet offer
- And we will offer you a free bet up to $100*
*Terms and Conditions: This free bet up to $100 offer is exclusive to this page and banner only. This offer excludes Victorian and New South Wales Residents. If you have any questions or queries, please call our customer service on 1800 990 907.