Saturday 25th October 2015
Mooney Valley | 2040m | Group 1 | Weight-for-age | $3,000,000Saturday, 25th October 2015
The W.S. Cox Plate is the most prestigious weight-for-age race in Australia and one of the ‘big three’ meetings held during Melbourne’s Spring Carnival. The race is named after William Samuel Cox, the founder of the Mooney Valley Racing Club, and has been held every spring since 1922. The race is run at Mooney Valley over 2040m and has total prizemoney worth $3,000,000 – which isn’t a bad day’s work!
The Cox Plate is affectionately known as ‘the race where legends are made’ and it’s easy to see why with many of Australia and New Zealand’s greatest ever gallopers featuring on the winners list, including: Phar Lap, Rising Fast, Tulloch, Tobin Bronze, Kingston Town (who holds the record for most Cox Plate wins with 3), Might and Power, Sunline, Notherly and So You Think.
If you’re gearing up for a flutter on the Cox Plate, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. The Mooney Valley track is renowned for being tight and having a very short straight, meaning when they turn for home the winner is normally right in the mix. In terms of form, the Underwood Stakes is the perfect lead-up race for the Cox Plate, so be sure to factor that into reckoning.
Winners of the Cox Plate
Below is a list of Cox Plate Winners and Cox Plate runners up in the past few years:
|2013||Shamus Award||Happy Trails||Fiorente||2.05.27|
|2012||Ocean Park||All Too Hard||Pierro||2:04.1|
|2011||Pinker Pinker||Jimmy Choux||Rekindled Interest||2:05.3|
|2010||So You Think||Zipping||Whobegotyou||2:07.4|
|2009||So You Think||Manhattan Rain||Zipping||2:03.9|
|2007||El Segundo||Wonderful World||Haradasun||2:06.3|
|2006||Fields Of Omagh||El Segundo||Pompeii Ruler||2:06.9|
|2005||Makybe Diva||Lotteria||Fields Of Omagh||12:09.3|
|2004||Savabeel||Fields Of Omagh||Starcraft||2:06.9|
|2003||Fields Of Omagh||Defier||Lonhro||2:07.6|
Cox Plate Fast Facts
- Only one horse has won the Cox Plate in the same year as the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup: Kiwi galloper Rising Fast in 1954 (if it was a horse – our money’s on cyborg).
- Know your big Cox Plate wins. In 2000 Sunline stormed back from seven lengths to win at the post, while the legendary Kingston Town dominated in the early ’80s, winning three Cox Plates in a row.
- The race is known as the ‘greatest two minutes in sport’, a sort of one-up on the Kentucky Derby, which was dubbed the ‘fastest two minutes in sport’. Take that, Colonel Sanders.
Cox Plate Bonus Bet
Not a member of sportsbet.com.au and looking to punt on the Cox Plate? Then pick up a Cox Plate bonus bet with Sportsbet.com.au.
We’re offering a bonus bet of up to $100* on your initial deposit! Click “Join Now” and take advantage of this great offer today and claim your Cox Plate Bet!
All you need to do is:
- Click on Join Now
- Sign up using the Registration page
- Deposit some funds
- Receive your Bonus Bet offer
- And we will offer you a bonus bet up to $100*
*Terms and Conditions: This bonus bet up to $100 offer is exclusive to this page and banner only. Gamble Responsibly. Bonus bet excludes residents of VIC, NSW, WA, SA. If you have any questions or queries, please call our customer service on 1800 990 907.